About Me

My photo
I'm a work in progress. I'm a mom to two, soon to be three, awesome kids that have taught me things I didn't know I needed to learn. I'm married to a kind and handsome man that I genuinely love to be with. I like to be around interesting people and enjoy learning from others. I'm quirky, energetic, have a glass that's usually half full (of wine) and am spontaneous when it fits into my plans. My life is much slower than it once was and even though I sometimes miss the old days, I never take these new days for granted. So, I've given up alot of things in order to give more of myself to my family ... and they better appreciate it. I mean, I expect nothing in return for my selfless love.

Wednesday, January 25, 2012


Lunch

After watching the documentary Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead, our good friends, along with Nate and I decided that we wanted in on this as well. We picked a date (today) to start, purchased an obscene amount of fruits and veggies and made a commitment that will last for 15 days. The website Join the Reboot (which was created by Joe Cross, the maker of the fat and sick doc) provides lots of yummy recipes and tips to help us succeed.
S and I emailed back and forth this morning about how angry we already felt. We're not hyped about losing weight (I'm the only one of the bunch that needs to) or being perfect. Nope. We're just downright mad. In the movie Joe is so depressed in the beginning that he stays in bed for days. I had a friend that did the same thing when she quit smoking. Take away something that you depend on (whether it be coffee, cheese, bread, wine, cigarettes, etc.) and see how happy you are in the beginning ... the happiness comes in full force after you rid your body of that poo (haha, literally) and your body is able to function as God intended it to. Natural high. I wanna natural high right nowwwwwwww.

These friends and us all eat pretty healthy diets (lots and lots of produce, little meat, dairy, etc.) so this isn't a radical change for us, but still ... it's somewhat nerve racking.
As a recovering (recovering!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yay!!!!!!) bulimic I am taking extra precautions and being very realistic. This isn't about perfection. This isn't about losing weight. This isn't about restriction in order to feel "ok" about myself.
This is about cleansing and seeing what kinds of happy things happen to me as a result.

You've gotta watch the movie. The power of nutrition is unbelievable ... we are a society blinded by the media and dependent on pharmaceutical companies. It's really sad. We have come to accept that getting older means feeling tired, popping lots of pills and undergoing multiple procedures (heart, back, diabetes)  ... but it really doesn't have to be this way. At all. And good golly, are we fat ... I've struggled my en.tire. life!

Watch the movie. Ok, ok. I'll shut up about it already.
But, really ... watch it.

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

Your lunch looks sooooooo good!

Danielle said...

I got Matt to watch this with me a few weeks ago and as a result he takes carrots and apples for lunch every day. (he used to never even eat lunch) I would like to replace one meal a day with juicing but don't know if that would be ok while nursing. And your comment about taking away something you rely on- I stopped eating butter and chocolate last week- I was one mean lady yesterday! I'm pretty sure I had a scowl all day, and it finally dawned on me late last night that it was probably from chocolate withdrawls :( Hoping by the time I'm done nursing little man I'll be over my cravings for chocolate and dairy! Sure is cheaper that way!!!

Susan said...

Wasn't the movie good?? Next on my list is 'Forks over Knives'. Have you seen that one?
Hey, so awesome that you gave those things up. It's so hard, I know. Hang in there and know that I am really ticked off right along side ya. ;)
Juicing one meal a day is wonderful while nursing or pregs and is a great way to get in a ton of whole foods at once. Example, banana, berries, carrots, spinach, kale, apple and celery ... all in one cup! It would be difficult to sit down and eat all of those in one meal if they were in whole form. If you need extra calories, throw in half an avocado, maybe flaxseed oil or some unsweetened almond, coconut, etc. milk and MAN what a nutrient-packed meal you have.